Pho or Vietnamese Noodle Soup is one of the most famous dishes in Vietnam. You can enjoy Pho at any meal of the day, breakfast, lunch, or dinner because this dish is full of nutrients. Although this is a traditional dish of Vietnam, the taste of each region of this S-shaped land has a unique flavor that you will never forget after having enjoyed it. This article will take you to travel to South Vietnam with a typical beef noodle soup. Let’s go!
Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup (Pho Bo)
For cooking broth (6-7 bowls of pho)
- 1 kg of the shinbone (cow leg bone).
- 1 onion - grilled aromatic, peeled to the outside.
- 1-3 shallots - grilled aromatic, peeled, and burnt (optional).
- 30-50gr ginger - fragrant, grilled, smashed.
- 1-star anise - fragrant or roasted.
- 1-2 cardamom - grilled aromatic or roasted, can be pressed stamping.
- 1 cinnamon stick about 10-15 cm long.
- Fish sauce, salt, rock sugar, seasoning powder.
For completing Pho
- 1/2 kg of rice noodles (4 people)
- 1 kg brisket; 10 beef balls.
- 200 g of beef fillet.
- Vegetables: parsley, lettuce, bean sprouts, basil. Chili sauce, Hoisin sauce, onion, green onions. Chili pepper, lemon, pepper powder.
- Tips: If you do not have the opportunity to bake the ingredients above, you can put ginger, star anise, cardamom, and cinnamon in a hot pan and stir until fragrant.In the winter, you can add more cinnamon, star anise, and ginger to create a warm feeling for Pho, but if you give too much anise, it will easily smell strong.
- Bone cleaning: Move the tube into a crushing or sawing/chopping section, remove the marrow and soak it in vinegar brine for at least 1-2 hours. In a saucepan filled with water, add 1 teaspoon of salt (15 grams), boil for 3 minutes, then rinse.
- Cook the first time: Add 3 liters of water to the pot, bring to a boil, add 1 teaspoon of salt, turn down the heat and add the cleaned bones. Simmer, occasionally skim the foam and add boiling water. After 5-6 hours, turn off the heat, use the basket or open it briefly, allow cooling.
- Put two tablespoons of fish sauce into a pot of bone broth, boil under moderate heat until boiling, reduce heat, simmer, 80-90 degrees. Remember to watch out for the fire because the fire is so big and boiling it makes the Pho become cloudy. During that time, prepare all kinds of ingredients: ginger, onion, cinnamon, anise, cardamom, and cook together. After two hours, add seasonings, sugar, salt to taste, boil for another 15-30 minutes, skimming foam because there are impurities in the spice.
- You use a mesh basket to filter the broth. Therefore, the bone will be completely removed. You can filter out the tendon sticking to bones to eat with Pho if you like. For this broth, you can store it in boxes (bags) in the freezer to use gradually. 1 kg of bone will be 3-3.5 liters of broth. You should follow the formula of 2 tablespoons of seasoning salt with 1-2 parts of salt, it also depends on how you use rock sugar to adjust. Now that you have the soul of the pho, complete its body with the next steps.
- The brisket of meat is washed, boiled, picked out, and put in cold water. Slice brisket and beef balls, depending on your preferences. Rinse beef fillet, and slice thinly. Rinse the vegetables and drain.
- Cook rice noodles, depending on your taste and put them into the bowl. Put meats and vegetables around or on the surface, you can decorate the way you want. Finally, add the hot broth to the bowl. Your Pho is done, enjoy it with the dipping sauce, or the way you like. Enjoy your reward!